Finding Typographic Characters

Do you need to use a specialized character in your writing, and you don't know where it is on the keyboard?
You could open the Special Characters Map* in your word processor, or memorize key combinations to produce the sign you want.

Or you could go to http://copypastecharacter.com/, select the character you need, copy it, and paste it into your document.  (There's also an iPhone app for that http://copypastecharacter.com/iphone/)
Screen shot copypastecharacter.com
The site describes itself: "Use Copy Paste Character to insert proper typographic characters, such as “quotation marks” and the interrobang ‽, or simply use it to spice up your e-mail messages, tweets, or text messages with h☺ppy faces, sn☃wmen or → arrows ←.
The character is copied to your clipboard immediately when touched, so you can easily launch the application, touch the character you want, exit and paste your clipboard into any application! ✌"

Drop a link to the site in your bookmark bar, to make it simple to find.

*To use Windows Character Map Tool  (in Windows 7),
1. From the Start menu,
2. In the Open: textbox, type charmap
3. Click OK.
This little window will open -
Click on the character you need, then Select, then Copy, and paste it where you want to use it.


If that's too easy, you could memorize all the keyboard codes.  You can find them here.