www.flickr.com

Time in My Hand

Another year, another book!  I joined the "photo a day for a year" Group on Flickr in 2009, and made my first book of those (more or less) 365 photos in January 2010.

Every year since, I've spent the first month or two of the following year creating the next collection: 20102011, 2012, 2013, 2014.  2015 is embedded below with a preview.

Not all the photos from the year go into the book - some wouldn't print well; some aren't very interesting.  I've always tried to present the order of the year - from winter to winter (I live in the Northern Hemisphere) but not necessarily day - by - day.
I've learned so much each year as I create the book. I've looked at what other people do, and read a handful of book designing blogs.  Each year is a little easier, because I am more familiar with the software, and at the same time more challenging, because I try to be more daring, creative, adventurous in my use of space and color .

I'm constantly intrigued at my desire for a paper copy of the pictures, in this age of limitless digital photographs.  This must enter the realm of digital/paper book reading - weight, texture, the physical turning of pages, etc.

As I write this post, there are 184,069 photos in the group pool, from 1,422 members. The idea is simply to take a photo a day, and post it to the Group pool.  Sounds simple, doesn't it?  (I'll take this opportunity to thank Alan Levine and Alec Couros for creating the group and managing it.)

In his 2011 book Playing with Media: Simple Ideas for Powerful Sharing, Wesley Fryer describes the challenge and discipline of a photo a day project:
"I encourage you to start a "Photo 365 Project" as soon as possible.  Photo365 projects involve taking at least one picture each day, and sharing one photograph on a special website or with a special web service to aggregate, archive, and share your images.  Inspired by Bob Sprankle, Cheryl Oakes, Alan Levine and Dean Sareski,  I started a Photo365 project in 2011 (365.wesfryer.com).  Although I sometimes have to "catch up" when I miss a day or two, generally I have found the commitment to post an image for every day of the year as a worthwhile challenge that keeps my mind thinking regularly about photography.
"...I believe the personal use of digital tools is essential for us as teachers.  The two essential elements required to finish a project are TIME and DEADLINE.  Photo365 projects can provide regular incentive as well as accountability to other people following your project to become more competent photographer through regular practice."